3.792 copyright, cont. (32)

Mon, 27 Nov 89 22:18:37 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 792. Monday, 27 Nov 1989.

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 89 10:48 GMT
From: Oxford Text Archive <ARCHIVE@VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK>
Subject: copyrites

I've been enjoying the recent copyright pingpong so much I havent
felt the need to chip in until now. However, the 'copyright lecture'
commended to us all by Chet Grycz really calls for some comment. It
suddenly struck me this weekend, when visiting acquaintances who are
doing just that, is that what is being argued for as a means
of distribution is closely modelled on the technique of
'pyramid selling' (typically used at present as a means of unloading
cheap cosmetics on a greedy and stupid populace). It *looks* democratic
but a closer look at the numbers shows that the nearer you are to the
top of the distribution tree not only the bigger your rake-off but the easier
it is to make one, whereas the nearer you are to the bottom ... just
like chain letters.

Is this really the right role model for the distribution of information
in years to come?

I hope not!

Lou