3.801 supporting the humanists, cont. (34)

Wed, 29 Nov 89 19:15:28 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 801. Wednesday, 29 Nov 1989.

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 89 11:05:30 MDT
From: Skip Knox <DUSKNOX@IDBSU>
Subject: Re: 3.794 supporting the humanists, cont. (30)

Don't blame MIS in general, only blame yours (generalizing from a single
source? - shame on you!). I work in such a place - we call it the Data
Center. Academic support is overly biased toward the mainframe, and I
would like to see that change, but users certainly don't have to jump
through hoops to get things done. We don't even keep incident reports!

As for Bitnet, we've been racking our brains for ways to get faculty
excited about it - and not just Bitnet. Over and over we show faculty
about some interesting procedure or technology, only to be met by a vast
indifference. I think what you have experienced reflects the management
style of your MIS department, and nothing more. I don't think it's a
basis for recommending that people not put academic support in the Data
Center.

Ellis 'Skip' Knox, Ph.D.
Historian, Data Center Associate
Boise State University INTERNET: DUSKNOX@IDBSU.IDBSU.EDU