3.806 yes/no, cont. (152)

Thu, 30 Nov 89 21:38:48 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 806. Thursday, 30 Nov 1989.

(1) Date: Wed, 29 Nov 89 20:14 EST (59 lines)
From: THEALLDF@TrentU.CA
Subject: yes-no, etc.

(2) Date: Thu, 30 Nov 89 01:50:30 MST (11 lines)
From: John Morris <JMORRIS@UALTAVM>
Subject: Not my reference

(3) Date: Thu, 30 Nov 89 07:46 CST (21 lines)
From: Robin Smith <RSMITH@KSUVM>
Subject: Yes and no, assent and denial

(4) Date: Thu, 30 Nov 89 18:11 EST (31 lines)
From: <MDHARRIS@GUVAX>
Subject: No and

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 89 20:14 EST
From: THEALLDF@TrentU.CA

Kenneth Burke wrote extensively on the negative in Part
III of Language as Symbolic Action (University of California
Press, 1968). The specific essay is Chapter 7 of Part III, "A
Dramatistic View of the Origin of Language" which speaks of the
"negative as a marvel of language." An interest in the negative
runs through Burke's writings from the 1930's on.

The current discussion on yes and no also reminds one of
Carlyle's Sartor Resartus with its discussion of the everlasting
yea and the everlasting nay. Carlyle as well as Bergson appears
to have had some influence on Burke.

As regards Joyce just to add to the statistics I checked
the Steppe-Gabler Handlist to Joyce's Ulysses. Including all
variants - italicized, captialized, etc.- there are 625 nos to
358 yeses in Ulysses as a whole. In the final episode, Molly's
soliloquy, the ratio naturally changes radically with 57 nos to
84 yeses. Removing the final episode, there are 568 nos to 271
yeses. The ratio for yeses to nos is 1.4 for episode 18; .48
for the other seventeen episodes and .57 for the entire work.
None of this is surprising considering Joyce's having made "yes"
one of the four key words in the closing episode.

Unfortunately it is not possible at the moment to do the
same for the"nichtian" language of Finnegans Wake, since the Hart
concordance does not itemize yes, no or other items like preposi-
tions and conjunctions. As Ulysses is more affirmative, the
night world of the Wake is likely more negative, even if it is
"nat language in any sinse of the word". Even if the concor-
dance were to supply the entries, the real problem of establish-
ing all of the forms of yes or no in the Wake would require a
complex theory of fuzzy matches (e.g ,"nat" in the above cita-
tion). But that is just as true of Ulysses and for that matter
any text, since there are numerous syntactic and semantic forms
of yes and no. No interpeter, though, could discount the impor-
tance in Ulysses of the predominant number of yes items in the
last episode nor the greater preponderance of yes items through-
out, since this is obviously a significant aspect of the struc-
ture, which is clearly confirmed by the author's own remarks re-
garding the use of yes in the concluding episode.

The problem raised initially of ratio of negative to affirmative
elements in works raises interesting question of relationship
between statistics and interpretations. Considering the impor-
tance the concept of negativity occupies in contemporary criti-
cal discussions about the revolution of poetic language and
theories of deconstruction, this raises an intriguing set of
speculations concerning possible shifts in such ratios at various
moments from Hegel's Phenomenology (or perhaps Pope's poetry) to
the present.

Donald Theall
THEALLDF@TRENTU.CA