3.810 SPAD, Paradigma, Australian e-mail (126)

Fri, 1 Dec 89 23:00:35 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 810. Friday, 1 Dec 1989.

(1) Date: Fri, 1 Dec 89 17:06:00 PST (19 lines)
From: cbf%faulhaber.Berkeley.EDU@jade.berkeley.edu (Charles Faulhaber)
Subject: Re: SPAD

(2) Date: Thu, 30 Nov 89 12:47:13 EST (16 lines)
From: David.A.Bantz@mac.dartmouth.edu
Subject: Re: 3.788 Paradigma, recursively viewed (108)

(3) Date: Thu, 30 Nov 89 12:20:47 EST (67 lines)
From: David.A.Bantz@mac.dartmouth.edu
Subject: Re:Austrian e-mail(71)

Date: Fri, 1 Dec 89 17:06:00 PST
From: cbf%faulhaber.Berkeley.EDU@jade.berkeley.edu (Charles Faulhaber)

My only information about SPAD, the UNIX-based text analysis program, is
2d-hand. It comes from a group of people working in Barcelona. In the
paper I have, a lexicometric study of Gaucelm Faidit, Spad is stated "to
recognize, count, organize, and classify lexical forms, calculate the
contingency table of the lexicon (lexical forms x texts), and proceed to
the analysis of the correspondences of this table without any manual
manipulation of the data. ... SPAD has about 50 separate stages ...."
Unfortunately, the paper doesn't give concrete information about how to
get hold of the program. In the bibliography reference is given to a
number of articles which appeared in <emp>Les Cahiers d'analyse des
Donne'es</emp> from 1981 to 1984 by Salem and Lebart. I don't know
where they are working, except that it's in France. In addition to
SPAD, the author of the paper states that the Barcelona group is also
using the Saint-Cloud programs.