3.815 design of a space? (37)

Sun, 3 Dec 89 20:55:35 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 815. Sunday, 3 Dec 1989.

Date: Fri, 1 Dec 89 17:18:30 EST
From: unhd!psc90!jdg@uunet.UU.NET (Dr. Joel Goldfield)
Subject: "Query on microcomputer clusters/instructional space"

Could you help me out on the question of space needs for planning
a multi-disciplinary microcomputer cluster? Our building houses the
Natural Sciences and Foreign Language departments. We have a space (machine
shop) on the ground floor for which our Director of Finance/Business Services
has unexpectedly offered a significant sum to convert to a micro cluster.
It measures 39 1/2 feet by 24 1/4 feet or about 958 sq. ft. if we
knock out a wall (764 sq. ft. if we don't). We plan to include
a number of interactive videodisc stations, but at least microcomputers
(not simply terminals) to create a total of between 15-20 stations.
We'd like to have 1 dot-matrix printer for every 2 micros.

If possible, we'd like to accommodate the possibility of an instructional
configuration: room in front of a class with a projection screen,
blackboard (or "white board"). It seems this would require more space.

Do any colleagues have model plans on how to design such a cluster?
Suggestions for tables, lighting, carpeting, ventillation, plants ("High tech,
high touch?"). This feels like supermarket sweep (if you remember that
amazing TV show), but we have to plan almost spontaneously before the
money "disappears." Sounds like Cadbury Easter chocolates....

Thanks,
Joel D. Goldfield
j_goldfi@unhh.bitnet Plymouth State College