3.861 etc. and language; teaching Joyce (124)

Mon, 18 Dec 89 08:26:05 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 861. Monday, 18 Dec 1989.

(1) Date: Thu, 14 Dec 89 21:35 EST (24 lines)
From: J. K. McDonald <MCDOJK@QUCDN>
Subject: Etc. and all the rest

(2) Date: Sun, 17 Dec 89 21:07:04 EST (8 lines)
From: db <BOYARIN@TAUNIVM>
Subject: Re: 3.845 etc. (88)

(3) Date: Fri, 15 Dec 89 17:25 EST (67 lines)
From: BOGGS@URVAX.BITNET
Subject: Teaching Joyce; June panel at Monaco

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 89 21:35 EST
From: J. K. McDonald <MCDOJK@QUCDN>

Willard has reminded us that no expressive device in the English (or any
human) language should be willed out of existence. Speaking of the
"caetera", it is still harder by far to include in our languages those
expressive devices which we know are possible but which we fail to
develop; or which are available but are left unused. To Willard's
evocative suggestion, I'd like to add a couple which touch on grammar.

The first is light-hearted: our lack of distinction between habitual
present and actual present. My example is "If you drink, don't drive!"
I visualize the parking lot of the liquor store crowded with people
suspended between their bottles and their car-keys.

The second is heavy-hearted: our failure to express the partitive
construction. "School children are on drugs." "Men are misogynists."
The world would be a lot more peaceful and much less mischievous if
these affirmations were rephrased. Why don't speakers of other
languages, those who make the partitive distinction, climb all over
us for this defect in our linguistic culture?

Jim McDonald