3.880 SGML Workshop; Goldfield's address (98)

Fri, 22 Dec 89 19:14:15 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 880. Friday, 22 Dec 1989.

(1) Date: Thu, 21 DEC 89 09:33:15 GMT (43 lines)
From: SUSAN@VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK
Subject: SGML Workshop

(2) Date: Thu, 21 Dec 89 15:43:31 EST (35 lines)
From: unhd!psc90!jdg@uunet.UU.NET (Dr. Joel Goldfield)
Subject: "My problematic UUNET/UUCP address"

Date: Thu, 21 DEC 89 09:33:15 GMT
From: SUSAN@VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK

Advisory Group on Computer Graphics

Workshop

SGML in the UK Academic and Research Community

Coseners House, Abingdon, Oxfordshire

5-7 March 1990

The Standard Generalized Markup Language (SGML) is a standard for the
markup and exchange of documents. These documents may include graphics
using the Computer Graphics Metafile standard or raster data.

There is a need in the community by groups such as AGOCG to exchange
documents in a standard way. SGML may provide the answer. This
workshop will look at the merits of SGML compared with other possible
formats and will make recommendations as to whether this is the right
time to move to SGML in the community and will propose a strategy for
this.

Participants at the workshop will be expected to give a presentation on
the workshop theme and to participate in the discussions.

This workshop is being sponsored by the SERC and speakers whose papers
are accepted for the workshop will have their subsistence expenses met.

Applications together with abstracts of papers should be returned by 9th
February. Full papers for the proceedings will be required by 23rd
February.

To obtain an application form please mail:
ammumford@uk.ac.lut.multics giving your postal address

Or contact: Anne Mumford, Computer Centre, Loughborough University,
Loughborough, LE11 3TU. Tel 0509 222312. Fax 0509 267477