3.900 instruction? CAI religious studies? Sanskrit? (81)

Thu, 4 Jan 90 19:49:25 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 900. Thursday, 4 Jan 1990.

(1) Date: Wed, 3 Jan 90 21:16:00 EST (29 lines)
From: F5400000@LAUVAX01
Subject: Computer instruction for humanists

(2) Date: 04 Jan 90 12:13:28 gmt (16 lines)
From: D.Mealand@EDINBURGH.AC.UK
Subject: CAI in study of Religions

(3) Date: Thu, 04 Jan 90 12:47:09 EST (11 lines)
From: John McRae <JRM@CORNELLA>
Subject: Sanskrit diacritics

Date: Wed, 3 Jan 90 21:16:00 EST
From: F5400000@LAUVAX01

I am hoping to put on a session about the use of computers in the
humanities for colleagues who have not gone beyond word processing but
who would like to know the possibilities available. The following is a
list of topics I would like to touch on; I would be grateful if my
colleagues could point out gaps in what I propose.

1. Word processing. Alternatives to Word
Perfect, useful additional programs (Lettrix, Grab, Catdisk, Gofer).

2. Personal Information Managers; Memory Mate, Tornado, 3 by 5.

3. Text databases and searching programs; Asksam, Ize, TACT.

4. Texts in machine readable form.

A. Archival: Oxford Text Archive, TLG, other publications,
including some of the Coch/Cosh T-Crunchers.
B. On Line: ARTFL, DanteProject, Perseus Project.

5. Computer Aided Instruction; review of programs
for English style and grammar; language teaching programs.

6. On line discussion groups beginning of course with Humanist.

John Sandys-Wunsch. F5400000@LAUVAXO1.LAURENTIAN.CA