3.911 freeloading humanists (34)

Mon, 8 Jan 90 20:26:22 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 911. Monday, 8 Jan 1990.

Date: Sat, 6 Jan 90 10:29 EST
From: PROF NORM COOMBS <NRCGSH@RITVAX>
Subject: Humanities and free loading

I want to agree with Bob Kraft and his comments about humanists wanting
to get services back in return for services given. Like everyone else
on the system, I assume that the articles we write and the papers we
give go without any payment. Out of the dozen publications I had in the
last 3 or 4 years, I made $100. I made another $100 in return for 6
encyclopedia articles! Wow!

We also have become accustomed to free use of libraries, city, university
and even when doing research in foreign countries. Hence we often view
electronic communications and access to research data within that long,
traditional framework. While receiving free use of libraries, we often
also need to make out-of-pocket costs for room, board and sometimes
travel. I don't know anyone in business who puts out as much for as
little return. Business friends are always amazed to hear of scholars
publishing without profit and attending conferences on vacation time
without overtime pay!

The fringe benefits of scholarship seem to me what make it exciting and
worthwhile.

Norman Coombs