3.914 an e-publication on Philo; session on Joyce (100)

Mon, 8 Jan 90 20:36:44 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 914. Monday, 8 Jan 1990.

(1) Date: Saturday, 6 January 1990 1411-EST (38 lines)
From: KRAFT@PENNDRLS
Subject: Pre-HardCopy Publication

(2) Date: Sat, 6 Jan 90 16:20 EST (46 lines)
From: THEALLDF@TrentU.CA

Date: Saturday, 6 January 1990 1411-EST
From: KRAFT@PENNDRLS

One thing that HUMANIST is to me is a place to experiment
about humanistic materials and procedures. Since I am myself
committed to the development of electronic publication, I am
offering any interested parties the opportunity to obtain
in electronic form the following article (summary attached)
that I have just submitted for a forthcoming Festschrift. In return,
I expect readers to notify me of any corrections, clarifications,
etc., that they might find, with an immediate view of cleaning
up the hardcopy form (if the editors will permit), and the more
important function of advancing scholarly discussion. Please
contact me as KRAFT@PENNDRLS (BITNET).

<<Philo of Alexandria and the Sabbath Crisis:>>
<<Alexandrian Jewish Politics and the Dating of Philo's Works>>

by Robert A. Kraft, University of Pennsylvania
[[copyright Robert A. Kraft, 4 January 1990]]

My main conclusions and their immediate ramifications are:
Philo's negative treatments of Joseph as symbolic for the
political person often reflect a specific set of political
events experienced by Philo (in Egypt) and involving problematic
actions of a Jewish political figure; Philo's positive treatment
of Joseph as symbolic for the (Jewish?) political person was
almost certainly written prior to the crisis reflected in the
negative treatments; the most obvious candidate for sparking the
negative treatment would seem to be Philo's nephew Tiberius
Julius Alexander, who first appears in preserved sources as a
major political figure around 42 ce and disappears from the
sources shortly after 70 ce; if Philo is reacting to political
activities of Tiberius Alexander, the date of the publication of
Philo's allegorical treatises may be considerably later than
usually has been assumed.
(2) --------------------------------------------------------------52----
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 90 16:20 EST
From: THEALLDF@TrentU.CA

This may be of interest to some member of Humanist or one of
her or his colleagues interested in cross disciplinary
relations. Please feel free to contact me or to suggest
that an interested colleague do so.

We envision a session which will not only indicate some of
the importance of Joyce's work to students of communication,
but will also include presentations concerning Joyce's
Dublin and Dublin's Joyce as well as useful information
about places of interest in and around Dublin that can be
visited while in Ireland.

While the program is largely complete, there is still an
opportunity for individuals interested in Joyce and communica-
tions to make a proposal concerning Joyce and communication
or to serve as a respondent.

I would appreciate receiving any detailed proposals as soon
as possible, since there is some urgency in completing the
organization of this session. These should reach me by the
end of January at the latest. (I will not be available to
respond to email until January 22d.)

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate receiving
them. Please write me email, snail mail or call as indicated
below. Owing to the usual problems with the mails, I believe
it would be preferable to send snail mail to my home address.

BITNET:
THEALLDF@TRENTU.CA Donald Theall
University Professor
FAX (705)7481246 Office of the Past President
PHONE (705)7481551 c/o University Secretariat
(705)7486504 (RES) Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
K9J 7B8

Home Address:
1604 Champlain Drive
Peterborough, Ontario, CanadLN6