3.916 rewards in heaven, not here (68)

Tue, 9 Jan 90 21:46:42 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 916. Tuesday, 9 Jan 1990.

(1) Date: Tue, 9 Jan 90 00:25:00 EST (20 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@OAC.UCLA.EDU>
Subject: Re: 3.911 freeloading humanists (34)

(2) Date: Tue, 9 Jan 90 10:00:00 EST (28 lines)
From: EIEB360@UTXVM
Subject: 3.904 do ut des, and where we are

Date: Tue, 9 Jan 90 00:25:00 EST
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@OAC.UCLA.EDU>

Isnt it that Mr Coombs forgets the fact that the libraries and sevices
he partakes so freely of are supported by the public, by the State, by
taxes, via endowments, gifts, inheritances, etc? Res publica? I
recall a poet friend in Budapest, who took me to a concert a few years
ago, as a guest of the State, to hear Janos Starker. Wonderful, said I.
Very cheap, said he. Who pays? said I. He was startled. The people, I
guess. For a few privileged esthetes like us, I said. Has the CP
asked the people? No, it takes. There are dangers here. When the
people wake up and say they want their crack, every penny, and it is not for
the State or the scholars to browse free in libraries, then Prof Coombs
will bethink himself. One shouldnt get used to freebies. They have to
be fought for and justified, and as one sees since 1950, there is not
so much $$$ available for the Humanists. Millions for the new science
prof's lab, but not even mail or xeroxing for the likes of us. Kessler
at UCLA.