3.928 discussion groups (207)

Sun, 14 Jan 90 22:31:55 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 928. Sunday, 14 Jan 1990.

(1) Date: Fri, 12 Jan 90 00:30:47 EST (58 lines)
From: "Ken Steele" <KSTEELE@vm.epas.utoronto.ca
Subject: FWAKE-L and Other Intriguing Lists

(2) Date: Sun, 14 Jan 90 14:08:24 IST (128 lines)
From: David Sitman <A79@TAUNIVM>
Subject: 1. Bitnet topics; 2. FWAKE and lists

Date: Fri, 12 Jan 90 00:30:47 EST
From: "Ken Steele, University of Toronto" <KSTEELE@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>

Jim Cahalan is not the first to inquire about the actual existence of
FWAKE-L, so I suppose I should make a public announcement that the list's
address (according the the Listserv at Utoronto) is FWAKE-L@IRLEARN.
In fact, there's also a list called FWAKEN-L@IRLEARN devoted solely to
TEXTUAL NOTES on Finnegan's Wake!

A fascinating but little-known command (LIST GLOBAL), sent to the
listserv at Utoronto, and quite possibly to any listserv (I'm no expert
in these things) will produce a list of almost 2000 BITNET discussion
lists. Of those known to Utoronto as of January 1990, the following
seem particularly remarkable:

AMNESTY AMNESTY@JHUVM Amnesty International list
BSRUSERS BSRUSERS@PUCC BSR Software discussion list.
CINEMA-L CINEMA-L@AUVM Discussions on all forms of Cinema
DANTE-L DANTE-L@DHDURZ1 DANTE-L Distribution list of DANTE members
ESPER-L ESPER-L@TREARN Esperanto List
FILM-L FILM-L@VMTECMEX Film making and reviews list.
FINE-ART FINE-ART@EB0UB011 (Peered) Fine-Art Forum
FOLKLORE FOLKLORE@TAMVM1 Folklore Discussion List
FWAKEN-L FWAKEN-L@IRLEARN Finnegans Wake - Textual Notes
GAELIC-L GAELIC-L@IRLEARN GAELIC Language Bulletin Board
HISTORY HISTORY@FINHUTC History
HORROR HORROR@PACEVM Horror
HUMANIST HUMANIST@UTORONTO HUMANIST Discussion
LITERARY LITERARY@UCF1VM Discussions about Literature
MORRIS MORRIS@SUVM Morris Dancing Discussion List
NOTABENE NOTABENE@TAUNIVM Nota Bene List
PHILOSOP PHILOSOP@YORKVM1 Philosophy Discussion Forum
REED-L REED-L@UTORONTO REED-L: Records of Early English Drama
SCUBA-L SCUBA-L@PURCCVM Scuba diving (Purdue) discussion list
SCUG-L SCUG-L@MITVMA Supercomputer Users List
SF-LIST SF-LIST@JPNKISCI SF author lists
SFLOVERS SFLOVERS@RUTVM1 (Peered) SF-Lovers List
SHAKER SHAKER@UKCC Shaker - A list on Shakerism.
TEI-L TEI-L@UICVM Text Encoding Initative
VALERT-L VALERT-L@LEHIIBM1 Virus Alert List
WHIM WHIM@TAMVM1 WHIM - discussion list for "Humour
WORDS-L WORDS-L@YALEVM English Language Discussion Group
WP50-L WP50-L@UBVM WordPerfect Corporation Products
YACHT-L YACHT-L@GREARN The Yachting, Sailing ...
9NOV89-L 9NOV89-L@DB0TUI11 Events around the Berlin Wall

Admittedly, this is a (necessarily) small sample of the thousands of
choices available, but it really is time that some of these little-known
lists were re-announced. (Certainly I had never heard of them!) There
are discussion lists for just about every kind of hardware, from Atari
to Cray. There are discussions about all sorts of programming
languages, specific computer applications -- you name it. I suggest
anyone whose curiosity is whetted by the above sample obtain the full
listing for a lengthy browse.

Ken Steele
University of Toronto