3.931 dead Macs and cultural support (88)

Sun, 14 Jan 90 22:43:23 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 931. Sunday, 14 Jan 1990.

(1) Date: Fri, 12 Jan 90 08:18:10 PLT (28 lines)
From: "Guy L. Pace" <PACE@WSUVM1>
Subject: The Dead Mac and other stories

(2) Date: Sat, 13 Jan 90 00:46:00 EST (220 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@OAC.UCLA.EDU>
Subject: Re: 3.925 support (110)

Date: Fri, 12 Jan 90 08:18:10 PLT
From: "Guy L. Pace" <PACE@WSUVM1>

The notes of late on the shortsightedness of departments in providing
a) computing equipment, b) computing resources, or c) repair funds for
existing equipment, displays a definite lack of sound budget management
on the part of university department administration. The same holds
for many of the departments at this institution, and at others with
which I am familiar. The story goes: The department can't seem to
find the funds for computing equipment and resources (but can find
the $$$ to send the chair to several major conferences per year,
all first class). Or the story goes: The department gets a donation,
in monetary form or in physical equipment form, for computing
equipment, but fails to provide funding to purchase software or printers
or other items necessary to make the donation useful. There's another
story, closer to me, that goes: The department is pretty smart when it
comes to providing the equipment, resources and maintenance for the
faculty and staff. However, the technical support person hired is far
from capable of providing meaningful hardware advice or support. So,
when its time to fix something, or time to upgrade hardware, he's not
much help.

Are there solutions to these problems? Probably not. Things have
gone on like this too long. You don't even have the option of canning
the poor technical support person. As anyone familiar with civil service
will tell you, it thrives on mediocrity. Once in, nothing short of
a nuclear blast will remove a civil service employee.