3.941 ideal workstation? enlarged cursor? address? (67)

Wed, 17 Jan 90 08:10:51 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 941. Wednesday, 17 Jan 1990.

(1) Date: 16 January 1990, 15:55:08 EDT (22 lines)
From: FLANNAGA at OUACCVMB
Subject: ideal workstation?

(2) Date: Mon, 15 Jan 90 22:02:41 CST (12 lines)
From: ENCOPE@LSUVM
Subject: OH NO IT'S CURSOR TROUBLE GET ME A COMPU-DOC KWIK CWICK QWIK

(3) Date: Mon, 15 Jan 90 23:20:26 EST (8 lines)
From: LNGDANAP@UOGUELPH
Subject: Address request

Date: 16 January 1990, 15:55:08 EDT
From: FLANNAGA at OUACCVMB

I have been asked to serve on an Ohio State Board of Regents advisory
group that will project the perfect scholar's work station: the
computer-linked, communication center, desk-top publisher,
library-searching, all-purpose professor's dream electronic office.
Since this is a project growing out of what is also a projected linking
up of all state libraries, the emphasis will be on scholarly research
via libraries. In the past, Humanist has discussed the design of
centers for computing in the humanities, and has discussed incidentally
the scholar's work station, but may I ask for a design for the perfect
scholarly electronic office, with instant access to the library? One
advantage of such networked offices, as explained to me by a director of
our library, would be automated library functions such as notification
to the scholar of all books coming through Acquisitions within his or
her stated fields. One service might be the delivery of books to the
scholar (really to keep office space in the library free for library
use); another service might be semi-automatic copying of journals at the
scholar's request, from the holdings of any library in the state (or any
library linked with the Ohio OLIS system). Any suggestions either for
equipment, communication links, services? Roy Flannagan