3.963 network queries and others (77)

Sun, 28 Jan 90 20:27:01 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 963. Sunday, 28 Jan 1990.

(1) Date: Fri, 26 Jan 90 11:38:00 EST (19 lines)
From: "HELEN ARISTAR-DRY" <islhad@es.uit.no>
Subject: addresses

(2) Date: Sun, 28 Jan 90 11:35:00 EST (21 lines)
From: "DAVID STUEHLER" <stuehler@apollo.montclair.edu>
Subject: query

(3) Date: Sun, 28 Jan 90 11:11 EST (12 lines)
From: DAN MANDELL (219)284-4610 <XLYKN8@IRISHMVS.BITNET>
Subject: Orillas Project

Date: Fri, 26 Jan 90 11:38:00 EST
From: "HELEN ARISTAR-DRY" <islhad@es.uit.no>

Recently I've seen a number of questions about basics come over
the net. Good! It gives me the courage to ask something I've always
wanted to know: how are e-mail addresses structured? I mean:
what's the difference between @ and % and ! and . , which all seem
to be separators. And, if you don't know someone's address--or, in
my case, if you know the address that worked in the USA but not
what to add to make it work from Europe--what do you do? Are there
paths that knowledgeable people know to try, on the chance? Are
there directories? If some knowledgeable person would give me a
short primer, I'd be very grateful.

Helen Aristar-Dry
U. of Tromso
islhad@es.uit.no