3.980 support, tongue-checking, and so forth (47)

Tue, 30 Jan 90 20:43:38 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 980. Tuesday, 30 Jan 1990.

(1) Date: Mon, 29 Jan 90 22:28:34 EST (16 lines)
From: amsler@flash.bellcore.com (Robert A Amsler)
Subject: Re: Provosts finding computers dehumanizing

(2) Date: Mon, 29 Jan 90 20:45:19 EST (11 lines)
From: Natalie Maynor <MAYNOR@MSSTATE>
Subject: Re: 3.974 tongue-checking applauded (57)

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 90 22:28:34 EST
From: amsler@flash.bellcore.com (Robert A Amsler)

I suppose the proper counter argument is that of assuming
the devil's advocate position of noting that typewriters were
a hugh dehumanizing influence when they replaced quill pens.
If we'd all return to using quill pens, there would be so much
more humanness in the writing and consequently in the use of
language. Calligraphers would become valued members of society
again, preparing all manner of official documents....

Of course, adds and drops were a technological advance many years
in the future at that time. One probably waited in lines to
tell a clerk something which was then painstakingly written in
a huge ledger---How did one register for courses in the 19th century?