3.1011 the quality of writing is (not) machined (74)

Tue, 6 Feb 90 19:47:53 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1011. Tuesday, 6 Feb 1990.

(1) Date: Mon, 5 Feb 90 23:58:00 EST (21 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@OAC.UCLA.EDU>
Subject: Re: 3.1006 Mac/IBM and quality in writing (80)

(2) Date: 06 Feb 90 01:14:09 EST (10 lines)
From: James O'Donnell <JODONNEL@PENNSAS>
Subject: Mac vs. IBM, prosaic.

(3) Date: Tue, 6 Feb 90 08:18 EST (18 lines)
From: <J_CERNY@UNHH>
Subject: Some comments on the Halio article.

Date: Mon, 5 Feb 90 23:58:00 EST
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@OAC.UCLA.EDU>

I think, Dear John Slatin, the logic of the essay is flawed because it
began with some sort of subtext, some hidden assumption about macs and
IBMS, which is part of the silly rah-rah culture we have lived in for
decades, since the first cars showed up. Fetishism about machines. You
are correct from your experience, I think, empirically correct. People
do or dont, can or cant, and it is a truism from the first scribes on
down. People are born with eye hand ear coordination and have it
trained or they are not, which says nothing about their brain powers!
as I have seen from the mini-sample of my own three offspring, and the
incredible powers of a dyslectic brotherinlaw who is world famous. given
an award for achievement nationally as a dyslectic, one of his
colleagues remarked: he has written 40 famous books and cant read a
single one of them! Let us not sink into the trivia of fetishism about
machines. I thank human powers for every one that helps, such as for
instance the highspeed watercooled drills my dentists have used for two
decades! And I am 50,000$ into advanced misery and gerontological
dentistical travails! Kessler at UCLA