3.1028 the quality of writing and thinking (170)

Fri, 9 Feb 90 22:18:16 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1028. Friday, 9 Feb 1990.

(1) Date: Thu, 08 Feb 90 19:59:51 PST (58 lines)
From: MHEIM@CALSTATE
Subject: etext library and Halio

(2) Date: Fri, 09 Feb 90 08:29:28 PLT (27 lines)
From: "Guy L. Pace" <PACE@WSUVM1>
Subject: The Quality of Writing

(3) Date: Fri, 09 Feb 90 12:35:11 GMT (33 lines)
From: Donald Spaeth 041 339-8855 x6336 <GKHA13@CMS.GLASGOW.AC.UK>
Subject: 3.999 Quality of writing

(4) Date: Fri, 9 Feb 90 14:17:00 EST (20 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@OAC.UCLA.EDU>
Subject: Re: 3.1022 Mac/IBM and writing, cont. (41)

Date: Thu, 08 Feb 90 19:59:51 PST
From: MHEIM@CALSTATE

Colleagues:

Yesterday the Governor of California broke the ribbon on a
new building on our campus at California State University,
Long Beach. The building is the world's first no-books library.
It is a very large building with many places for students and
faculty to study. But it has terminals instead of bookshelves.
You can get texts, like Shakespeare's works, online, and you can
use the terminals to order books from the south campus library.

Today a student editorial in the /Daily Forty-Niner/ took a strong stand:

"LIBRARY MORE OF A DATA CENTER

Searching for information is always a tedious task, and with the
opening of the new $50 million North Campus Library, that job
just got easier.

But while it will be much easier to gather information through
the use of computers, we hope that not every future library will
be like this.

Libraries have always been the homes of books, not computers.
Books are, and have always been, the keys to knowledge and
truth. We hope that never changes.

A library that does not have the musty smell of old paper and
book stacks piled to the ceiling cannot really be called a library.

Therefore, we suggest that the new structure on Lower Campus
not be called a library, but an information center that will
streamline the painful process involved in doing research papers.

If a person cannot find a good book to sit down and read in this
new building, it is not actually a library."

If we agree that something is lost if electronic texts replaces
books, then maybe we should also look into the psychic impact
of writing when it occurs electronically rather than with pen or
typewriter. Maybe the students recognize the fundamental
difference between information and contemplative thought.

Could it be that Halio's findings about the MACHINE vs PC
suggest an even more far-reaching impact of computerized
writing technology? Might it be that word processing affects
the way we think and write? Wild idea? This speculation was
the thesis behind ELECTRIC LANGUAGE: A PHILOSOPHICAL
STUDY OF WORD PROCESSING (Yale, 1987).

Mike Heim