3.1041 decline of noisy reading? SGML and hypertext? (85)

Tue, 13 Feb 90 20:35:30 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1041. Tuesday, 13 Feb 1990.

(1) Date: 12 Feb 90 22:37:18 EST (20 lines)
From: James O'Donnell <JODONNEL@PENNSAS>
Subject: Query

(2) Date: Tue, 13 Feb 90 10:45:21 PST (54 lines)
From: cbf%faulhaber.Berkeley.EDU@jade.berkeley.edu (Charles Faulhaber)
Subject: electronic critical editions

Date: 12 Feb 90 22:37:18 EST
From: James O'Donnell <JODONNEL@PENNSAS>

From: Jim O'Donnell (Penn, Classics)

Way out of my usual neighborhood and groping around for anything
substantial in a field where it could be hidden *anywhere*: Does
anybody know of good studies of the decline of reading aloud in modern
times anywhere on continental Europe or the Americas? What kind of
evidence is there for how long reading aloud continued to be part of
educational institutions, social gatherings, family fireside life, etc.
[a licit use of etc., I hope]? Likewise what kind of evidence for the
decline of such? Also medical: at what point did physicians begin to
leave off recommending reading aloud as a healthful exercise?

The zippy way of saying why I'm interested is that I think people
started to get bored with Cicero when they stopped hearing the grand,
rolling organ music of his prose: even when he's *utterly* boring, he
plays Latin the way Miles Davis plays a trumpet.