3.1043 quality of writing, cont. (92)

Tue, 13 Feb 90 20:39:08 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1043. Tuesday, 13 Feb 1990.

Date: Tue, 13 Feb 90 10:32:59 EST
From: ZAK@NIHCU
Subject: WRITING ON MACINTOSHES AND PCS

The following postings originally appeared in

Info-Mac Digest Mon, 12 Feb 90 Volume 8 : Issue 27

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Feb 90 14:19:50 EST
From: Mark Seidenberg <INMK%MUSICB.MCGILL.CA@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: why Johnny can't write?

About the professor who thinks that Macintoshes breed poorer
writing than IBMs: Sounds like an artifact to me, probably
related to how the papers looked, not their content. In
general, Macintosh output looks nicer than IBM output. This
could have 2 effects on judged quality of writing:

1. people do less editing on papers when the printed output
looks good. There is an illusion, familiar to people who have
switched from dot-matrix printers to laser-printing, that
papers that LOOK like nice crisp final versions must BE final
versions. I mean, the moon looks bigger when it's closer to the
horizon, but that doesn't mean it really IS.

2. similarly, the professor could have had a worse impression
of the Macintosh papers because there was a bigger
discrepancy between how they looked (great, all those nice
type fonts and styles) and how they read (cruddy, just like the
IBM-produced ones).

So, to do the experiment properly, you'd have to let the
students use different computers to compose the texts, but
print them out in a common format (e.g., same type font, same
printer).

Don't education professors have better things to spend their
time on? Like why Johnny can't READ?

Mark Seidenberg
inmk@mcgillb.bitnet