3.1053 what are the "humanities"? CAD/CAM for Macs? (45)

Wed, 14 Feb 90 21:06:29 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1053. Wednesday, 14 Feb 1990.

(1) Date: Tue, 13 Feb 90 23:10 EST (7 lines)
From: <COLE@IUBACS>
Subject: "humanities"

(2) Date: 14 February 1990 (19 lines)
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: constructing tabla notation

Date: Tue, 13 Feb 90 23:10 EST
From: <COLE@IUBACS>

Do we have a listing in the archives or can someone tell me in a
paragraph or two - what disciplines are included in the "Humanities".
Where does one draw the line? Thanks.
(2) --------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 14 February 1990
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: constructing tabla musical notation

Today I suggested to a colleague of mine that he investigate CAD/CAM
software as a means of constructing traditional tabla (Indian drum)
notation, which I'm told uses a circle of varying radius as the
principal organizing figure. I was at a loss, however, to name a
suitable package for the Mac, his computer of choice. I suppose that
such a package should make it very easy to produce circles, expand and
contract them, place other figures on their circumference (to indicate
beats of various kinds or absence of beat), make labels (can we hope for
the Arabic alphabet?), and so forth.

Any suggestions?

Yours, Willard McCarty