3.1069 workstations (26)

Fri, 16 Feb 90 22:49:15 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1069. Friday, 16 Feb 1990.

Date: Wed, 14 Feb 90 22:04:52 CST
From: Richard Goerwitz <goer@sophist.uchicago.edu>
Subject: Macs, PCs, Suns, etc.

For what it is worth, working with Macs, PCs, and various Unix-
based machines has led me to believe that all have advantages.
It is very, very important that we avoid falling into a kind of
brand loyalty. Though it is nice to think otherwise, computer
manufacturers probably are not motivated by altruism. Their re-
lationship to us is fundamentally a business one. If we want the
best prices and the most productive competition in the marketplace
we probably ought to cultivate a willingness to change operating
systems and architectures, or at least to speak well of ones we
are not currently using :-).

-Richard L. Goerwitz goer%sophist@uchicago.bitnet
goer@sophist.uchicago.edu rutgers!oddjob!gide!sophist!goer