3.1121 electronic discourse (75)

Thu, 1 Mar 90 21:30:00 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1121. Thursday, 1 Mar 1990.

(1) Date: 1 March 1990, 00:11:19 EST (21 lines)
From: Sheizaf Rafaeli (313) 665 4236 21898MGR at MSU

(2) Date: 27 February 1990 (36 lines)
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: humanists on e-mail

Date: 1 March 1990, 00:11:19 EST
From: Sheizaf Rafaeli (313) 665 4236 21898MGR at MSU

Re: McCarty's cite of Gumperz. The use of communication to deal with
diversity, and e-mail.

I believe you hit the nail on the head. Though I'm not familiar with
Gumperz, he, too, has a point. E-mail is indeed studied from this
perspective, including some rather quatitatively inclined content
analyses in the communication research literature. Look for the work of
Ronald Rice, Charles Steinfield, Janet Fulk, L. Hellerstein, myself and
others.

To make a presumptious collective statement, we are interested in- (and
have been looking at-) the use of such media and the communication
situations fostered by these media in relation to diversity, emotions,
etc.

Are there any others (in the humanities) we should know about?

Sheizaf Rafaeli