3.1150 queries (103)

Thu, 8 Mar 90 21:20:12 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1150. Thursday, 8 Mar 1990.

(1) Date: Wed, 7 MAR 90 20:05:28 GMT (22 lines)
From: SA_RAE@VAX.ACS.OPEN.AC.UK
Subject: Software for Ethnographic research?

(2) Date: Thu, 08 Mar 90 11:35:04 GMT (11 lines)
From: MFZXREP@CMS.MANCHESTER-COMPUTING-CENTRE.AC.UK
Subject: WORDPLEX TO IBM COMP

(3) Date: Thu, 08 Mar 90 12:02:09 GMT (20 lines)
From: MFZXREP@CMS.MANCHESTER-COMPUTING-CENTRE.AC.UK
Subject: E-MAIL FOR INTERDEPARTMENTAL COMMUNICATION

(4) Date: Thu, 08 Mar 90 14:49:28 GMT (20 lines)
From: Donald Spaeth 041 339-8855 x6336 <GKHA13@CMS.GLASGOW.AC.UK>
Subject: American History database needed for teaching

Date: Wed, 7 MAR 90 20:05:28 GMT
From: SA_RAE@VAX.ACS.OPEN.AC.UK

Software for Ethnographic research.
A researcher at the Open University, UK. is looking for software to
assist in her work. She has heard of a package, possibly with the name:
ETHNOGRAPH or ETHNOGEN (perhaps even ETHOGRAPH or ETHOGEN) that seemed
to offer what she needs. Have any Humanists heard of such a package?
Facilities that the package offered included searches (or trawls)
through large text files (either written text or transcribed speech)
looking for common themes or word patterns combined with an ability to
extract relevant passages or to do statistics on occurencies.
This seemed to me similar to facilities offered by packages like
OCP but perhaps there are now others available.
Please respond to me at:
SA_RAE@VAX.ACS.OPEN.AC.UK
I will summarise and post back to HUMANIST if applicable.

Thanking you in anticipation,
Simon Rae,
Research Adviser, ACS, Open University, UK.