3.1156 distance education (38)

Fri, 9 Mar 90 23:07:50 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1156. Friday, 9 Mar 1990.

Date: Fri, 9 Mar 90 13:23:45 EST
From: <reiner@RIO>
Subject: RE: 3.1134 distance education defined and explained (114)

I've passed two of the discussions along to our dean who oversees Instructional
Technology. I thought some others would be interested in a recent article
which was highlighting one of our distance education courses:
"Telephone link provides one-of-a kind learning"

Rod Christian's marketing class would make a great commercial for long
distance carriers like AT&T and US Sprint. Through the advance of modern
technology and the innovation of some educators, Christian's Principles of
Marketing class is shared via phoneline with Australia's Adelaide College.

This is Rio Salado's most distant class. I teach a class entirely by phone
within our county boundaries (over 9000 sq miles). Such a course requires
the instructor to utilize great imagination since you can not see the students
and pregnant pauses are frequent. I frankly enjoy this method as a change
from the classroom.

If anyone would like more information on our alternate delivery services they
can write me.

Donna Reiner
Rio Salado Community College
640 N 1st Ave