3.1168 VuWriter; Amiga (70)

Tue, 13 Mar 90 23:37:34 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1168. Tuesday, 13 Mar 1990.

(1) Date: Tue, 13 Mar 90 08:38:00 EST (35 lines)
From: DEL2@phoenix.cambridge.ac.uk
Subject: Re: [3.1132 Hellenologophiles? (97)]

(2) Date: Mon, 12 Mar 90 23:03:20 CST (14 lines)
From: GR4302@SIUCVMB
Subject: Goerwitz's font problems

Date: Tue, 13 Mar 90 08:38:00 EST
From: DEL2@phoenix.cambridge.ac.uk

discussions about foreign languages (eg Jim O'Donnell).

My own feeling is that by far the most important thing is the
quality of printer output available. At least in the middle-term,
that is how we shall be communicating with the wider world. I
wonder whether anything less flexible than PostScript and a
high-quality laser (or phototypesetter) is going to do.

As far as the screen is concerned, I have a major problem in that I
use a number of very different machines, the most useful of which
is the Cambridge Z88 (which I can take into a library and SILENTLY
fill with material). There is no way I could get European accents,
let alone Greek, Arabic, &c, into that. So my compromise is to
let screen fonts go, and use simple if inelegant transliterations
(e< for e-acute, &c). A maximum of four keystrokes (for really
awkward things like greek-omega-with-rough-breathing-and-flex-and-iota-sub)
for any character. It's then pretty trivial to write a converter to
suit whatever text processor I happen to be using. Far easier
than trying to memorise five different sets of conventions for five
different packages on five different machines; and the results are 100%
portable.

The epigraphic conventions are slightly troublesome, but again can
be easily accommodated. I can get cheap line-printer output for
proofing, then decide at the very latest stage what fonts to use
before producing the camera-ready material for the press.

I'd be interested in comments on this approach.

Douglas de Lacey <DEL2@UK.AC.CAM.PHX>