3.1190 from the Paraclete (91)

Tue, 20 Mar 90 19:21:54 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1190. Tuesday, 20 Mar 1990.

(1) Date: 19 Mar 90 22:20:11 EST (30 lines)
From: James O'Donnell <JODONNEL@PENNSAS>
Subject: C. Waddell, Hymn Collections from the Paraclete

(2) Date: Tue, 20 Mar 90 09:39:00 EST (9 lines)
From: FZINN@OCVAXA.CC.OBERLIN.EDU
Subject: RE: 3.1185 Hymns from the Paraclete? SGML software? (59)

(3) Date: Tue, 20 Mar 90 12:52:04 EST (29 lines)
From: "Paul J. Constantine" <BM.YAR@RLG>

Date: 19 Mar 90 22:20:11 EST
From: James O'Donnell <JODONNEL@PENNSAS>

From: Jim O'Donnell (Penn, Classics)

RLIN reports at least four different titles by C. Waddell publishing
various documents from the Paraclete, e.g., *The Old French Paraclete
Ordinary* and *The Paraclete Breviary*. The latest title is indeed
*Hymn collections from the Paraclete*, 1987ff. Vol. 1, introduction and
commentary, vol. 2, Latin text of hymns (`Most of the hymns in v. 2 are
from Abelard's Hymnarius Paraclithensis'). The publisher is the famous
Trappist Abbey of Gethsemani in Kentucky (famous as the home of Thomas
Merton). Their post office address, to judge by the RLIN record, is
indeed Trappist, Kentucky; it seems likely that mail would reach:

Publications Office
Gethsemani Abbey
Trappist, KY
USA

But I also notice that at least one of the other titles records on the
catalogue entry that it is `distributed by Cistercian Publications', and
that is a recognized entry probably listed in Books in Print: care of
the Medieval Institute at Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo,
Michigan, the fame of whose massive annual conference of medievalists
may well have spread throughout the British Isles. If you have no luck
with the Kentucky address, write to Kalamazoo and throw yourself on
their mercy and I think you'll have no complaint.