3.1204 Philo and Josephus; Internet libraries (89)

Fri, 23 Mar 90 22:54:25 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1204. Friday, 23 Mar 1990.

(1) Date: Thursday, 22 March 1990 2001-EST (38 lines)
From: KRAFT@PENNDRLS
Subject: Studies in Philo and Josephus

(2) Date: Fri, 23 Mar 90 15:51:00 EST (31 lines)
From: <STGEORGE@UNMB>
Subject: New Internet Library List Available

Date: Thursday, 22 March 1990 2001-EST
From: KRAFT@PENNDRLS

A few years ago, as I was discussing various
computer-oriented aspects of research, an ebullient
young interlocutor blurted out (with a mild apology
for bluntness) the question: "Are you ever going to
become a scholar again?" I think I handled the situation
with sufficient good humor, although it hadn't occurred to
me at the time that I had stopped being a scholar! In
any event, to anyone who requests it I offer an electronic
copy of the new (scholarly) paper described below, which will
ultimately appear in some form in hard copy. Comments,
corrections, and suggestions are most welcome!

Tiberius Julius Alexander and the
Crisis in Alexandria according to Josephus:
Towards Redating Philo's Literary Activities

by Robert A. Kraft, University of Pennsylvania
[version of 9 March 1990]

This examination of Josephus' treatment of Tiberius Julius
Alexander, nephew of Philo and a significant Roman political
figure in his own right, aims at following up on some of the
suggestions made in my paper on "Philo and the Sabbath Crisis"
(January 1990). The conclusion is that a case can be made for
identifying Philo's allusion to a religio-political crisis in
Egypt (On Dreams 2.123ff) with the rioting involving Jews in
Alexandria at the start of the governorship of Tiberius Julius
Alexander around the year 66 ce (described by Josephus War
2.487ff). The evidence is too ambiguous for this identification
to be considered compelling, but even as a possibility, it
challenges the older consensus, based largely on silence, that
Philo's literary activities ceased by the middle of the first
century ce.