3.1214 Library of Congress on CD-ROM (23)

Sun, 25 Mar 90 18:09:21 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1214. Sunday, 25 Mar 1990.

Date: Sat, 24 Mar 90 01:35:00 EST
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@OAC.UCLA.EDU>
Subject: Re: 3.1187 paper vs. e-documents (74)

I will vote for the conversion (i.e. reproduction) of the Library of
Congress t o optical disks, if we can lobby for it. My Congressman
wrote me the other year that try as he would, he could not get reduced
the budget in the USA for mili tary bands alone, nevermind missiles!
which came to, in 1987, and perhaps still does, hold your hats everyone,
$600 million dollars. I dont think it would cos t that much to do the
LOC. But would the people vote for that? Who will stand u p and lobby
our Senate? The National Endowment for the Arts doesnt get 250 mill
ions! If I go on, I shall be political quicksand, but the situation is
fairly c lear to me...re Humanists' support. Kessler at UCLA