3.1219 e-mail and addresses in the UK (175)

Mon, 26 Mar 90 20:42:15 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1219. Monday, 26 Mar 1990.

(1) Date: Sun, 25 Mar 90 19:18:13 EST (15 lines)
From: Natalie Maynor <MAYNOR@MSSTATE>
Subject: Re: 3.1212 e-mail (47)

(2) Date: Sun, 25 Mar 90 19:55:00 EST (10 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@OAC.UCLA.EDU>

(3) Date: Mon, 26 Mar 90 08:21:49 EST (12 lines)
From: Toby Paff <TOBYPAFF@PUCC>
Subject: UK addresses

(4) Date: Mon, 26 Mar 90 16:44 GMT (109 lines)
From: Oxford Text Archive <ARCHIVE@VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK>
Subject: How to get to JANET - version 7

Date: Sun, 25 Mar 90 19:18:13 EST
From: Natalie Maynor <MAYNOR@MSSTATE>

I understand Kevin's frustration with his UK address, but I'm
confused by what he said about EARN. I didn't think that the UK was
part of EARN. I thought it was on JANET. I'm pretty sure that
BITNET, EARN, NETNORTH, along with some other networks, run the same
protocol and therefore appear to us ordinary users as though they
were all part of one big network: the addresses look the same,
interactive (real-time) communication can occur, no gateways (or at
least not visible to our eyes), the routing can be watched all the
way to the destination. In any case, I do know that Spain is very
easy to reach on BITNET. I can send BITNET mail to Spain in exactly
the same way I send it across campus. Natalie Maynor