3.1232 e-mail (26)

Wed, 28 Mar 90 19:09:21 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1232. Wednesday, 28 Mar 1990.

Date: Tue, 27 Mar 90 23:50:00 EST
From: Natalie Maynor <MAYNOR@MSSTATE>
Subject: Re: 3.1228 JANET and EARN, etc. (26)

Kevin: It's not my intelligence that gets mail through from here.
It gets through thanks to the *excellent* bitnet postmasters in
our Computing Center (Mike Rackley and Frank Peters). Your praise
of the Mississippi State University Computing Center is well deserved.
One thing that is especially interesting about our system is that
the software to run Bitnet is home-made -- because of our weird
mainframe. Every time I curse a nearby node famous for being down
or clogged most of the time (won't name names here), I also chuckle
about the fact that our home-made software is plugging along reliably
while their commercial software can't manage to stay up for more than
a few hours at a time. I say "our" because I'm a user of Bitnet
here, not because I have any connection with the Computing Center.
I'm a computer novice in the English Department. Natalie