3.1237 cyberhorrors; language and values (119)

Thu, 29 Mar 90 22:15:52 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1237. Thursday, 29 Mar 1990.

(1) Date: Wed, 28 Mar 90 12:19:42 EST (64 lines)
From: Duane Harbin <DHARBIN@YALEVM>
Subject: Cyberhorrors

(2) Date: Wed, 28 Mar 90 20:34:06 EST (33 lines)
From: Brian Whittaker <BRIANW@YORKVM2>
Subject: language and values

Date: Wed, 28 Mar 90 12:19:42 EST
From: Duane Harbin <DHARBIN@YALEVM>

software which will select, sort, and present electronic information:

I'm afraid that information is a fragile thing. We are all painfully
aware of the dangers inherent in committing communication to paper and
other media. Orwell's _1984_ is only the best known work which
identifies the fact that control of information amounts to control of
truth. Electronic information is still more fragile. One of the
premises for Gileadean society in _The Handmaid's Tale_, is that with
the loss of paper money in favor of electronic records, it was possible
to completely remove all economic power from huge segments of society
overnight by controlling the machinery. Neither is intention necessary
for the destruction of information. Eco's _Name of the Rose_
illustrates how much can be lost through accident, misfortune, ignorance
... And in each case it is less the medium which is at fault than the
human beings who come into control of it.

The only way I know of to truly safeguard recorded communication,
information, or knowledge is to distribute copies of the record as
widely as possible. I strongly oppose the notion of centralized
databanks, or reliance on any one institution or location as the "place
of record." Witness the tremendous loss when the Alexandrian Library
was destroyed. For better or worse, printed books, because they are
broadly distributed, are a fairly secure medium because it is difficult
to destroy all of them everywhere. Electronic communications, if
properly distributed as Humanist is, are probably also relatively
secure, though I sincerely hope UTORONTO has off- site storage of
backups of the Humanist archive.

My point is in essence that it is not the media in which we record our
communications, not even the tools we develop to manipulate the media,
that represent a danger to the preservation of the information, it is we
ourselves. In principle, it does not strike me as a bad thing to develop
machines which can assist us in the sifting of information. It is
already happening, probably of absolute necessity. However, it should
not be one machine, sifting one source of information. It must be
several, designed and programmed by many individuals for their own
interests, sifting through a network of information which is widely
distributed. Only thus is it possible to provide any reasonable
safeguard against a tyranny of suppression and destruction.

This is not to say that we should not examine carefully the tools which
technology supplies, and try to forestall their abuse. However, we must
clearly recognize that it is not the technology which is inherently the
problem, it is the question of how we use the technology. Unfortunately,
past and present experience indicates that virtually anything that can be
abused will be abused somewhere, sometime, somehow, by somebody. The general
response to that is to put control of potentially dangerous technology in the
hands of a few. In the case of information and communication, I think a more
effective response is to distribute the information as widely as humanly
possible. Corporately, we are better guardians of truth than we are
individually.

Duane Harbin
Information Services Librarian
Yale University