3.1242 scanning and e-texts (193)

Fri, 30 Mar 90 23:26:17 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1242. Friday, 30 Mar 1990.

(1) Date: Fri, 30 Mar 90 13:10:49 EST (61 lines)
From: "Michael S. Hart" <HART@UIUCVMD>
Subject: Re: 3.1235 scanning and e-texts, cont. (251)

(2) Date: Fri, 30 Mar 90 12:10:49 CST (61 lines)
From: "Michael S. Hart" <HART@UIUCVMD>

(3) Date: Fri, 30 Mar 90 16:45 CST (53 lines)
From: Alvin Snider <ASNIDEPD@UIAMVS>
Subject: Alpha centauri

Date: Fri, 30 Mar 90 13:10:49 EST
From: "Michael S. Hart" <HART@UIUCVMD>

First an answer to the question of OEDs: Oxford, in their communications
with me, have referred to the new OED as the OED2, while some of you have
referred to it as the NOED. The Project Gutenberg edition is made from a
set of first editions of each volume, beginning with the 1888 A-B volume,
and including each additional volume as it enters the public domain. The
Oxford lawyers have been quite fuzzy about which volumes they consider to
be still under copyright protection. The OED project I mentioned was the
preparation of the CD-ROM and tape version of the first edition, which is
sold for around $1,000. I am not sure exactly when this project began or
finished, but the CDROM has been out for a few years and I heard it began
in the mid-70s. I suppose it was inevitable that someone would force the
use of the term OED1 for this edition, which Project Gutenberg intends to
sell for $249 or less (to include only the volumes which are currently in
the public domain). However, the most interested party in the developing
of this work seems to be Oxford itself, and their attitude is probably in
at least some manner self-evident to most of you. I have had no contacts
with the newer editions of the OED, partially in order to prove I haven't
used any of it in the preparation of our work, which began in 1971 before
any of these projects. However, unless some real interest is shown in it
the project will be abandoned, at least for the time being, while lawyers
have their field day. While I am extremely interested in the creation of
such works at extremely low prices for mass availability, it would appear
I am nearly alone in this, as support is minimal and hassles have greatly
outweighed the support. As in the past it might occur that thousands and
thousands of pages we have prepared will be unused in that world outside,
outside the walls of Project Gutenberg. We henceforth retreat to do work
on publicizing etexts in general and disproving the outlandish claims the
majority of the public seem to believe about the cost and utility of text
in electronic forms. As an initial step Project Gutenberg has just given
license for EVERY STUDENT AT THE UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS PRESENT & FUTURE,
to have electronic copies of 20 of Shakespeare's plays AT NO CHARGE. Any
student or member of a campus theatre group may download a copy on demand
at our Micro Resource Center in the Illini Union as soon as the paperwork
is completed. This will be followed by another set of etexts called "The
Greatest Literary Works* of All Time" (*plus a few other important ones.)
A 300M CDROM will be placed in the Micro Resource Center for use as well,
this time by faculty and staff, in addition to students, but not for copy
to their own media. These restrictions are not Project Gutenberg's but a
part of the licensing we have obtained. We regret to have to apologize -
but an earlier description of the license for Shakespeare on Disk, posted
on several listservers, might have stated that faculty and staff might be
included in the license. If this has inconvenienced anyone please accept
my heartfelt apologies.

As a portion of our effort to publicize etexts, Project Gutenberg is also
making available a copy of Alice in Wonderland, which is public domain, a
book old enough, we hope, to escape questions about copyright, as we have
derived our etext indirectly from the first edition. In response to many
requests that etexts be made available via anonymous FTP, we will also be
posting this at the Micro Resource Center on MRCNEXT, the NeXT server.

Once again I have reached the end of my 56 line I allow myself for server
oriented mail. Future messages should be shorter, as I intend to retire,
at least somewhat, from public discussions on these topics, rather to put
my energy into proving etexts are not only feasible, but inexpensive. We
manage to put our text on disk for only several dollars per page: anyone
saying it costs more must be doing it the hard way.