3.1263 e-dictionaries; book (48)

Wed, 4 Apr 90 21:28:59 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1263. Wednesday, 4 Apr 1990.

Date: Wed, 4 Apr 90 01:44 PST
From: <HARDERR@CLARGRAD>
Subject: Forgn dicts

Two products that may be of interest to Humanists. The most recent
Eisenbraun's catalog lists a CD-ROM that contains: Multilingual
Dictionary for CD-ROM *Languages of the World* "contains eighteen
bilingual and multilingual dictionaries covering twelve languages:
Chinese, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian,
Japanese, Norwegian, Spanish, and Swedish. This exciting database offers
instantaneous translations, definitions, antonyms, synonyms, and idioms.
Any language can be translated into any other. Includes CD-ROM database
disk, 5 1/4 Search System floppy disk and easy-to- follow users manual."
Retail: $950 Discount: $798. Eisenbrauns POB 275 Winona Lake, IN
46590-0275, USA. FAX 800-736-7921, Outside USA 219-269- 6788 Voice (how
quaint!): 219-269-2011.

Also: Moby Hyphenator 150,000 unique Engl wds, fully Hyph and Syllab.
Moby Parts of speech 200,000+ prioritized list of principle parts of
speech. Moby Pronunc. 150,000+ completely IPA marked. ASCII, Mac or
DOS formatted disks. Illumined Unabridged, Montgomery, CA, 408- 373-1491

I know **NOTHING** about either of these products. These are just from
mailing lists I'm on. This is NOT an endorement!!!

One thing I can endorse is Cliff Stoll's new book: *The Cuckoo's Nest*
the story of a Berkley radical who acccidently stumbled onto an
international Network terrorist/Spy ring. A well written, entertaining,
personal account of a major international incident. I am planning to
use it as a textbook in a "Telecommunications for non-CS people" class.
Good intro to Baud rates, modems, networks, etc. Presented more as a
mystery than a textbook! The book is really interesting, informative,
and (Gosh) down right fun to read.

Raymond G. Harder
HARDERR@CLARGRAD
Azusa Pacific University