3.1290 e-texts (26)

Tue, 10 Apr 90 19:53:48 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1290. Tuesday, 10 Apr 1990.

Date: Tue, 10 Apr 90 12:34:21 EDT
From: "Michael S. Hart" <HART@UIUCVMD>
Subject: Re: 3.1282 preparation of e-texts (176)

re: Alvin Snider <asnidepd@uiamvs>

What editor or proofreader or even author would not want contributions to
her/his work even if such contributions were only to be used 50% of the time
as you suggested? The idea that someone creating their own corrections in
their own files being "regressive" sounds as though you would prevent (if
you could) people from writing corrections in their paper books and then
xeroxing them to send to friends and colleagues.

In general, I am beginning to wonder if the demands written here for such
"authoritative editions" are not made in response to those who prefer such
"authority." It makes me wonder how many editions of Shakespeare there
would be if this ideal had been enforced for the past 400 years. mh