3.1309 Research Computing (History); Surrogate Motherhood (95)

Mon, 23 Apr 90 18:12:37 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1309. Monday, 23 Apr 1990.

(1) Date: Fri, 20 Apr 90 14:28:48 PDT (20 lines)
From: cbf@faulhaber.Berkeley.Edu (Charles Faulhaber)
Subject: Computers in History

(2) Date: Mon, 23 Apr 90 10:33:04 BST (54 lines)
From: Donald Spaeth <GKHA13@CMS.GLASGOW.AC.UK>
Subject: 3.1299, Research Computing (History)

(3) Date: Sat, 21 Apr 90 11:53:01 PDT (18 lines)
From: STEVEC@FHCRCVM
Subject: surrogate motherhood

Date: Fri, 20 Apr 90 14:28:48 PDT
From: cbf@faulhaber.Berkeley.Edu (Charles Faulhaber)

The question about the decline of cliometrics went under my nose and was
zapped with my trusty "delete" key but evidently continued to percolate
through my subconscious.

Those of us in the humanities have known for a long time that there is a
lot more to humanities computing than compiling statistics. Once you
start to look at texts as potential historical sources, then it becomes
obvious that the potential for the use of electronic texts in
non-quantitative approaches to history has scarcely been tapped.

As more and more texts, both literary and non-literary, become available
in machine- readable form, I think that we can expect to see a
corresponding increase in historical studies making use of them in the
same fashion that literary scholars do.

Charles Faulhaber
UC Berkeley