3.1313 Library Equipment; Hand-held Scanners; Counting (84)

Tue, 24 Apr 90 23:18:22 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1313. Tuesday, 24 Apr 1990.

(1) Date: Mon, 23 Apr 90 22:44:19 CDT (28 lines)
From: Charles Ess <DRU001D@SMSVMA>
Subject: e-text hardware

(2) Date: Tue, 24 Apr 90 09:30 EDT (28 lines)
From: E5FA045@BOE.TOWSON.EDU
Subject: Text Scanning in the Study

(3) Date: Mon, 23 Apr 90 20:37:28 EDT (30 lines)
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: the powers, false and true, of counting

Date: Mon, 23 Apr 90 22:44:19 CDT
From: Charles Ess <DRU001D@SMSVMA>

Once again I request the wisdom of those of you who have traveled further
down this particular road than I.

In the continuing search for the elusive "scholar's workstation," I and
our library staff are groping for a network configuration which would
use a file server as the central depository for what will presumably
become an extensive database of e-texts, along with appropriate text
search and retrieval software and wordprocessing software.

We can't get too fancy -- nor too expensive. I would like your
collective advice on type of machine (recalling that we just went
through a major bad Apple versus International Big Muthah argument, so
perhaps many of those issues do not need repeating) and more especially
on storage devices. At the moment, we're assuming that much of the
available e-texts will be distributed on magnetic media rather than
CD-ROM, so that hard disks are in order, along with a CD-ROM reader. As
far as hard disks are concerned -- are there advantages, for example, in
terms of speed and throughput to attaching SCSI drives to a DOS machine?

Any suggestions -- both experiential and philosophical -- would be
appreciated.

Charles Ess
Drury College