3.1325 Trees (branching out...) (106)

Fri, 27 Apr 90 17:08:54 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1325. Friday, 27 Apr 1990.

(1) Date: Thu, 26 Apr 90 18:57:38 EDT (35 lines)
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>
Subject: the need for printout

(2) Date: Thu, 26 Apr 90 22:06:21 -0400 (71 lines)
From: amsler@flash.bellcore.com (Robert A Amsler)
Subject: minor replies

Date: Thu, 26 Apr 90 18:57:38 EDT
From: Willard McCarty <MCCARTY@vm.epas.utoronto.ca>

This is in response to Charles Faulhaber's latest, itself in response to
Bob Amsler's note about saving trees.

I have electronicized the process of writing as much as I think
possible. I take notes on the computer and, with a short detour to
printed paper slips, arrange and form them into an outline on the
computer. Typically a paper I am writing doesn't otherwise touch paper
until it is nearly complete. Then, however, I reach the stage at which I
must have a printout, first so that I can read the whole thing through
and see if the argument actually makes sense, then so that (like
Faulhaber) I can proofread it. I said "a printout" but I really mean
several -- perhaps as many as 6 or 8, with relatively minor changes from
one to the next.

I am wondering if anyone has studied this need for hardcopy that I have
described. I think that there are two quite separate problems here that
I use paper to solve. The first is that a screen (even, I presume, a
Sun's) doesn't allow you to see enough at once or to read what you've
written in a relaxed setting. The second is that for some reason, as
Faulhaber notes, proofreading is exceedingly difficult onscreen. I
wonder if the pulsing of the screen, which I imagine we must see even if
we don't know that we see it, has anything to do the difficulty of
attending to tiny details, such as spelling and repeated words. Does
this pulsing entrain oscillators in the brain, as pulsing light in other
contexts is known to do?

Saving paper is a worthy goal indeed, but I think that machines won't do
this for us.

Willard McCarty