3.1330 Robots (33)

Mon, 30 Apr 90 16:53:20 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1330. Monday, 30 Apr 1990.

(1) Date: Friday, 27 April 1990 9:32pm ET (21 lines)
From: "Sheizaf.Rafaeli" <21898MGR@MSU>
Subject: Re: Medieval human-like robots

(2) Date: Sat, 28 Apr 90 16:03 PDT (6 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@UCLAMVS.BITNET>
Subject: Re: 3.1324 Notes and Queries (66)

(3) Date: Sat, 28 Apr 90 21:36:17 IST (6 lines)
From: Daniel Boyarin <BOYARIN@TAUNIVM>

Date: Friday, 27 April 1990 9:32pm ET
From: "Sheizaf.Rafaeli" <21898MGR@MSU>

Jewish lore tells about Golem, a robotlike servant made of clay and given
life (loaded an operating system) by way of a charm. At least two
different versions exist about this charm: The name of God features in
one. The word for truth in Hebrew (EMET) is the OS in the other version.
I prefer the latter, because it leads better into the end of the story.
As it goes, this servant was created to save the Jews of Prague from
some pogroms. But the servant runs amok, and out of control. The
solution is to climb up to its forehead, erase one letter from the charm
inscribed there, turning EMET into MET. Met, in Hebrew, means dead.
That was the first Ctrl-Alt-Delete.

Two btw's:

1) Golem was the name for the first computer built at the Weizmann
Institute in the fifties.

2) I think the human protagonist of this story was Eliahu Hagaon, a
prominent Non-Hassidic Rabbi. Which makes the story even more delicious.
I'm hoping someone can correct my factual errors - I'm sure there are
some.

Sheizaf