3.1337 New Communication Media; Scanning (53)

Tue, 1 May 90 17:30:56 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1337. Tuesday, 1 May 1990.

(1) Date: Mon, 30 Apr 90 17:10:35 -0400 (19 lines)
From: amsler@flash.bellcore.com (Robert A Amsler)
Subject: New-fangled communication media

(2) Date: Tue, 1 May 90 11:21 EDT (34 lines)
From: HMCOOK@BOE.TOWSON.EDU
Subject: Scanning in the Study Update

Date: Mon, 30 Apr 90 17:10:35 -0400
From: amsler@flash.bellcore.com (Robert A Amsler)

Dateline: Arctic Conference Center, May 1st, 2010

I must disagree with those who advocate the use of the speech writer as
a tool for composition. While some may claim they can accept its
mistakes in transcribing spoken communications and deal with them
effectively, I cannot and will continue to use the traditional
electronic keyboard and graphics tablet to compose my articles.
Keyboards have served us well for many generations and I cannot see how
they can ever be replaced. The tangibility of seeing one's text
immediately appear on a screen cannot be replaced with the intangibility
of voice-playback verification, even with the most sophisticated AI
screening for spoken accents and background noise suppression.