3.1349 Shakespeare (54)

Thu, 3 May 90 16:41:07 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 3, No. 1349. Thursday, 3 May 1990.

(1) Date: Tue, 5 01 22:09:07 MDT (18 lines)
From: <DMIALL@UALTAVM>
Subject: Shakespeare study

(2) Date: Thu, 3 May 90 11:16 GMT (25 lines)
From: Oxford Text Archive <ARCHIVE@VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK>
Subject: Elliott's Shakespeare

(3) Date: Thu, 3 MAY 90 16:57:12 GMT (21 lines)
From: SA_RAE@VAX.ACS.OPEN.AC.UK
Subject: recent notes on shakespeare

Date: Tue, 5 01 22:09:07 MDT
From: <DMIALL@UALTAVM>

University of Alberta

I didn't hear the CBC report, but the study made front page Sunday
before last in the British newspaper _The Observer_ (22nd April). The
work is that of Ward Elliott at Clermont McKenna College, California.
Some of the authorship tests to show the stuff is Shakespeare are said to
be based on punctuation and hyphenation. The British scholar David
Norbrook is cited as questioning the validity of analysing these
aspects, which were largely decided by the later editors. I look
forward to the forthcoming arguments with interest.

Regards,
David