4.0018 Golems in Literature and Film (32)

Wed, 9 May 90 17:28:15 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0018. Wednesday, 9 May 1990.

(1) Date: 9 May 90 00:34:00 EDT (18 lines)
From: O.B. Hardison, Jr. <ohar@guvax.georgetown.edu>
Subject: RE: 3.1354 Golems (48)

(2) Date: Wed, 9 May 90 11:01 EST (14 lines)
From: "N. MILLER" <NMILLER@TRINCC>
Subject: Golems yet again

Date: 9 May 90 00:34:00 EDT
From: O.B. Hardison, Jr. <ohar@guvax.georgetown.edu>

Terry's reference to the iron man recalls Spenser's awesome proto-robot
Talus, who accompanies Arthegal, symbol of justice, in his adventures in
book V of the Faerie Queene. Just now, I'm not certain of the sources
of Spenser's image, but they are covered pretty well in the VARIORUM.

Another treatment of the golem can be found, with other brief refs. to
the Middle Ages, in Isasac Azimov's and Karen Frankel's ROBOTS:
Machines in Man's Image (New York: Harmony Books, 1985). - O. B.
Hardison, Jr.