4.0030 Musings: Gender; Immortality (24)

Thu, 10 May 90 17:15:32 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0030. Thursday, 10 May 1990.

(1) Date: Wed, 09 May 90 22:58 PDT (19 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@UCLAMVS.BITNET>
Subject: Re: 4.0020 Gender (48)

(2) Date: Thu, 10 May 90 08:14:00 PDT (5 lines)
From: 6500lisi@UCSBUXA.BITNET
Subject: Re: ...Immortality [eds]

Date: Wed, 09 May 90 22:58 PDT
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@UCLAMVS.BITNET>

Is it not odd that this discussion about gender never touches on the
morphology of male nad female? about how bodies are imaged to the selves
within those bodies? the hollow vs the solid, the womb vs the phallus?
So much of the chitchat on this topic is very abstract, and in the head,
the male head, perhaps. To drive a car is to be inside a body that you
can hope to control, much as if one regressed to the imagination of the
male fetus directing the great power of the mother's locomotion, form
inside, etc. A little imaging might help here, in addition to the
linguistic things that so confuse the innocent, about what is male and
female in grammar. Hungarian has not she or he, incidentally, but the
Magyars seem to know the difference between the genders of things and
people. How so ? Kessler at ucla. These are all remnants of remnants
left over from a lost past, I fear, the superstitions of the
superstitions.... It is amusing, a little.