4.0034 Queries: "Glom"; ALR-Powerflex (32)

Fri, 11 May 90 16:44:53 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0034. Friday, 11 May 1990.

(1) Date: Thu, 10 MAY 90 22:48:11 GMT (17 lines)
From: SA_RAE@VAX.ACS.OPEN.AC.UK
Subject: recent mailing - new word

(2) Date: Fri, 11 May 90 00:42 EDT (15 lines)
From: Michel LENOBLE <LENOBLEM@UMTLVR.BITNET>
Subject: ALR-Powerflex 286.

Date: Thu, 10 MAY 90 22:48:11 GMT
From: SA_RAE@VAX.ACS.OPEN.AC.UK

In a recent contribution to the GENDER question from Sally Webster
<ACDSPW@SUVM> she used a word I've not come across before ...

"to glom onto the newest technological language"

Is "glom" correct or was it a typo? I hope not ... to glom sounds such
a nice verb! Has it any history - or is it just another of those words
that appear 'on the streets' in the US and hasn't yet crossed over to
the UK?

I would like to hear of any background to glomming (is that right?).

Simon Rae: The Open University, Milton Keynes, United Kingdom.
SA_RAE@VAX.ACS.OPEN.AC.UK