4.0042 OCR errors; Modems (40)

Mon, 14 May 90 17:34:58 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0042. Monday, 14 May 1990.

(1) Date: Friday, 11 May 1990 1647-EST (20 lines)
From: KRAFT@PENNDRLS
Subject: Typical KDEM/OCR Errors

(2) Date: 12 May 90 10:29:05 EDT (20 lines)
From: George Aichele <73760.1176@CompuServe.COM>
Subject: Modems

Date: Friday, 11 May 1990 1647-EST
From: KRAFT@PENNDRLS

As I sit here yet again doing global changes on a KDEM produced file by
identifying those impossible combinations of letters that result when
"e" is read as "c" (ncw, wc, vc, etc.) or when "1n" represents "m"
(1ny), or "rn" also for "m" (rnu, sorn, rnay, etc.), it occurs to me to
ask if any other KDEMites have prepared such a list for inclusion in an
automatic correction (tailoring) program? This would be the sort of
program that is sure that a letter combination is impossible, and thus
corrects it on the spot. If such a program or list is not available,
I'd be happy to be involved in creating one!

Bob Kraft