4.0047 Query on Humanist Structure (28)

Mon, 14 May 90 18:02:03 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0047. Monday, 14 May 1990.

Date: Fri, 11 May 90 14:43:01 -0700
From: edwards@cogsci.berkeley.edu (Jane Edwards)
Subject: establishing sub-lists within Humanist

I have noticed lately that a quite a few of the notices posted to
Humanist have to do with social and political themes - e.g., the various
postings relating to earth day, trees, and lately our perspectives of
Polish society. Interesting as these may be, I find them to be mainly
expressions of personal opinions which don't help me with my work in
using electronic texts, computer methods, etc., and they load up the
mail queue and do take time to screen. I had thought at first of
terminating my membership, but have found much of value in Humanist once
I strip away these other things.

I wanted to ask if others feel this way. If so, perhaps a 2-tiered
mailing list could be devised. Those interested only in topics
relating to electronic texts, computer methods, queries relating
to academic topics, etc., would receive only those; people interested
in everything would receive everthing.

I mean nothing pejorative here. I certainly don't mean to imply that
these other topics are not important; rather only to question whether
they belong on Humanist or could be circulated as effectively on one
of the usenet groups (e.g., talk-politics).

-Jane Edwards