4.0067 Maps (51)

Thu, 17 May 90 17:27:21 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0067. Thursday, 17 May 1990.

(1) Date: Thu, 17 May 90 15:17:10 EDT (34 lines)
From: Geoffrey Rockwell <Geoffrey_Rockwell@poczta.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: 4.0060 Responses- Maps;

(2) Date: Thu, 17 May 90 08:18:51 EDT (17 lines)
From: Elliott Parker <3ZLUFUR@CMUVM>
Subject: Computer maps

Date: Thu, 17 May 90 15:17:10 EDT
From: Geoffrey Rockwell <Geoffrey_Rockwell@poczta.utcs.utoronto.ca>

In MacWorld, June 1990, there is a review of Azimuth 1.0. It "produces
maps with a nearly infinite range of viewpoints; object-oriented drawing
tools make customizing maps easy." This is a Mac product, it costs 395$
US, and I have no experience with it.

I should add that there are collections of maps for the Mac in the public
domain. We have some PICT files of countries around the world and
states of the US. They can be scaled and adapted in any draw program
for the Mac. If one looks in any PD software catalogue there should be
disk sets of map clip art. There are also six map clip-art collections
listed in the Kinko's courseware catalogue. (Does anyone know the
status of the Courseware Exchange?)

On the PC side there are maps that come with Corel Draw. There is also a
company MicroMaps Software Inc., (609) 397-1611, that has disks of EPS
format files. (These should be usable in any program that can import
their brand of EPS files. Graphics programs like Corel Draw and
Illustrator can import and manipulate compatible Encapsulated PostScript
files.)

Yours,
Geoffrey Rockwell
rockwell@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca