4.0104 Structure (54)

Tue, 22 May 90 17:52:16 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0104. Tuesday, 22 May 1990.

Date: Tue, 22 May 90 14:50:20 CDT
From: "Michael S. Hart" <HART@UIUCVMD>
Subject: Re: 4.0087 Humanist Structure

I can handle Humanist as either moderated or unmoderated, and even could
stand a change from time to time as long as it was announced well ahead.
The only moderation I recall being discussed lately was that of signing:
i.e. whether note writers should be required to identify themselves. As
a result I have created the signature block as seen below. I thought an
interest in knowing who wrote something was valid, and even though I was
properly identified in the headers, I added the signature block for that
set of readers who received my mail through systems which "ate" headers.

I don't really mind the signature block, other than a waste of bytes.

I don't even mind if Humanist doesn't require that we all sign our notes
as I am willing to find out who did and post it for others. These cases
are usually few and far between, and most Humanists know I am willing to
toss a few barbs between the ribs of overinflated types who need it. mh

Thank you for your interest,

Michael S. Hart, Director, Project Gutenberg
National Clearinghouse for Machine Readable Texts

THESE NOTES ARE USUALLY WRITTEN AT A LIVE TERMINAL, AND THE
CHOICE OF WORDS IS OFTEN MEANT TO BE SUCH AS TO PROVOKE THE
GREATEST POSSIBLE RESPONSE SHORT OF BEING OFFENSIVE. TRUTH
IN THESE NOTES IS OF GREAT CONCERN, THE FORM IS SECONDARY -
OTHER THAN THE TOKEN EFFORT OF JUSTIFIED RIGHT MARGINATION.

BITNET: HART@UIUCVMD INTERNET: HART@VMD.CSO.UIUC.EDU
(*ADDRESS CHANGE FROM *VME* TO *VMD* AS OF DECEMBER 18!!**)
(THE GUTNBERG SERVER IS LOCATED AT GUTNBERG@UIUCVMD.BITNET)

NEITHER THE ABOVE NAMED INDIVIDUALS NOR ORGANIZATIONS ARE A
AN OFFICIAL REPRESENTATIVE OF ANY OTHER INSTITUTION NOR ARE
THE ABOVE COMMENTS MEANT TO IMPLY THE POLICIES OF ANY OTHER
PERSONS OR INSTITUTIONS, THOUGH OF COURSE WE WISH THEY DID.