4.0108 What is Text? (4/123)

Wed, 23 May 90 19:25:46 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0108. Wednesday, 23 May 1990.

(1) Date: 22 May 90 16:24:25 MDT (37 lines)
From: Skip Knox <DUSKNOX@IDBSU>
Subject: What is text?

(2) Date: 22 May 90 16:24:25 MDT (24 lines)
From: Skip Knox <DUSKNOX@IDBSU>
Subject: What is text, again?

(3) Date: 22 May 90 23:36:00 EDT (35 lines)
From: O.B. Hardison, Jr. <ohar@guvax.georgetown.edu>
Subject: RE: 4.0096 What is Text?

(4) Date: Wed, 23 May 90 11:57 PDT (27 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@UCLAMVS.BITNET>

Date: 22 May 90 16:24:25 MDT
From: Skip Knox <DUSKNOX@IDBSU>

John Slatin gives a detailed example of a question about text, but
the question seems pretty easy to me. When I write something and
then revise it, I don't have one text, I have two. I have the
first draft, and a revision. Simple. Your poet, John, has several
versions of her poem. The versions probably reflect various stages
of her artistic life and I would study them in that light. I would
be hard put to imagine any other approach.

The _Ulysses_ debate seems to me to have more to do with the notion
of "authorized edition", an ancient battle between publishers and
writers. Is this really all there is to this debate? Of course
there are different versions to any literary work. There are
different versions to interoffice memos, for pity's sake. This is
scarcely grounds for philosophical arguments in academic journals.
The good historian will collect everything possible and make sense
of it as best she or he can.

I agree with Sperberg-McQueen that a text can include computer
programs and recipies and the like; I have some misgivings over
wiring diagrams. If we allow that, why should we not call the
drawings in an artist's sketchbook "text"? In the Middle Ages
artists worked from highly standardized sketchbooks which they were
expected to use as a kind of template for their own work. They had
more room to make changes than does an electrician, but the
function was pretty much the same. I would stick at words -- a
text has words.

Skip Knox
Microcomputer Coordinator (cum) Medieval Historian
Boise State University
Boise, Idaho
DUSKNOX@IDBSU