4.0157 Interfaces (4/108)

Sat, 2 Jun 90 14:13:35 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 4, No. 0157. Saturday, 2 Jun 1990.

(1) Date: Thu, 31 May 90 20:31:26 EDT (27 lines)
From: Geoffrey Rockwell <Geoffrey_Rockwell@poczta.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: 4.0148 Interfaces

(2) Date: Fri, 01 Jun 90 01:11:41 EDT (22 lines)
From: Tzvee Zahavy
Subject: Windows 3.0

(3) Date: Saturday, 2 Jun 1990 01:03:58 EDT (33 lines)
From: "Patrick W. Conner" <U47C2@WVNVM>
Subject: 4.0148 Interfaces (1/125)

(4) Date: Thu, 31 May 90 22:07 PDT (21 lines)
From: KESSLER <IME9JFK@UCLAMVS.BITNET>
Subject: Re: 4.0148 Interfaces

Date: Thu, 31 May 90 20:31:26 EDT
From: Geoffrey Rockwell <Geoffrey_Rockwell@poczta.utcs.utoronto.ca>

I think this point has been made before, but I will make it again. The
interfaces that are "winning" in the market place allow one to work both
from a command line and by pointing and clicking. Take the NeXT, one
can open within the GUI a window where one can type commands just like
the good old days. In Windows 3.0 one do this, as one can on the Mac if
you get MPW. If one is to believe the rumours about the upcoming Mac
OS, the Mac will get even more tools for traditional commanding. The
success of the GUI is its ability to give commanding personalities their
screen space too. One need not loose functionality with a GUI. There
is nothing inherent in the notion of a graphical user interface that
prevents one from typing text, and asking the system to execute ones
commands. The trend I see is towards interfaces that can be used in
different ways, with different views for different folks. This I think
is an improvement over the "traditional" environments.

Geoffrey Rockwell
rockwell@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca